Marian Garen's Chocolate Buttermilk Cake
Chocolate Buttermilk Cake
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 + 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teas. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 + 3/4 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs - slightly beaten
- 2 squares of dark baking chocolate, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Cream the butter, gradually add the sugar and blend well.
- Stir in salt, vanilla & eggs then add melted chocolate.
- Sift the cake flour with the baking soda.
- Stir in flour mixture and buttermilk to chocolate-butter mixture. Begin with a portion of flour mixture and alternate with buttermilk until blended.
- Pour into two buttered 8 in. layer pans.
- Bake at 350 for 30 - 35 min.
Chocolate Butter Cream Mocha Frosting
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened to room temperature
- 1.5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Droste cocoa powder
- Less than 1/4 cup warm water with 1 heaping tsp of instant or freeze dried coffee added
- In electric mixer bowl, add butter, salt and vanilla and mix at medium speed to creamy consistency
- Add the cocoa powder and mix it in. Use small amount of coffee mixture sparingly to control consistency of frosting.
- Mix in powdered sugar. Use additional coffee mixture as needed as you add the powdered sugar.
- Frost the cake!
Original recipe clipped from a buttermilk carton, circa WWII.
Nominations-Round voting is open tonight until 10:00PM PDT.
Matthew Rhys talks about bringing a very different Perry Mason to life in the latest emmy magazine.
Multi-night virtual event in development for September. Academy donates $1 million to Actors Fund COVID-19 Emergency Relief.