Internship: Rules & Eligibility
All finalists for the 2020 summer Internship Program have been notified via email. Be sure to check your spam folder.
All Television Academy Foundation internships are located in the Los Angeles area. the Foundation reserves the right to refuse placement in any category at any time.
- Applicants must be qualified full-time students pursuing an associate, bachelor or graduate degree at a college or university within the United States. Students entering their final quarter or semester in 2020 without a full course load may also apply.
- Students who have completed or will be completing college or graduate school prior to December 31, 2019 are not eligible.
- Students who are graduating between January 1, 2020 and August 31, 2020 are eligible to apply in certain categories only. (See category descriptions.) If you are a graduating undergraduate senior returning to graduate school in the Fall, you must provide a letter of acceptance upon notification of finalist status.
- International students with F-1or J-1 Visa status pursuing a degree in the United States are NOT eligible to apply.
- In order for the Foundation to conduct a background check and process payroll for an intern, the intern will need to provide the Foundation with a U.S. Social Security number upon notification of employment.
- Only one entry and one category per student.
- Applicants must choose either the Internship Program OR the Star Trek Command Training Program. You MAY NOT apply for both opportunities.
- Students participating in specialized two-year or certificate programs should contact the Foundation to determine eligibility.
- All positions are full-time, paid, for 8 weeks in Los Angeles.
- Most, but not all, internships start in mid-to-late June or early July. Once you are confirmed as an intern, you and your host will determine your exact start date. the Live Event Production, TV Directing and TV Scriptwriting categories usually start in late July to early August.* All internships end eight weeks after the start date.
- The Television Academy Foundation pays approximately $4,800 to each intern, payments of which will be made every two weeks. Applicable payroll deductions are taken from payments.
- Interns are responsible for their own housing and living expenses. A limited number of housing stipends will be available to assist with housing costs for students who can demonstrate a financial need. FINALISTS will be notified regarding the application process.
- Students are responsible for their own in-town transportation. While public transportation is available, many work locations will have limited access to public transport which is not timely or dependable in many parts of the city and surrounding areas.
- Airline ticket assistance may be available to individuals not bringing reliable transportation who live beyond a 200 mile radius from Los Angeles County.
*Not applicable to Star Trek Command Training Program
Television Academy members will judge submissions beginning mid-February and finalists will be notified in early March. All finalists will then be asked to submit a video interview in response to questions posed in the notice of final candidacy. Students selected for the internship positions will be notified via email mid-March into early April. Note: Cinematography, TV Directing and TV Scriptwriting interns may not be notified until early June based on the host companies' production schedules (not applicable to Star Trek Command Training Program).
Be sure to check your spam folder regularly.