The Television Academy, based in the NoHo Arts District in North Hollywood, California, is a nonprofit organization devoted to celebrating and empowering storytellers to push the boundaries of what Television can be. The only major organization fully representing the television and broadband screen entertainment industry, it is made up of over 22,000 members, representing 29 professional peer groups, including performers, directors, producers, art directors and various other artisans, technicians and executives.
The Television Academy recognizes excellence among its peers with the Emmy award, culminating in the Primetime Emmy Awards telecast each fall. The Television Academy also produces several other awards shows and a variety of activities and events for its members throughout the year. These events are featured across the Academy's digital platforms and in its award-winning emmy magazine.
It is the Television Academy's policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. The Television Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), national origin, ancestry, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, family care status, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are seeking qualified candidates for a Managing Editor, emmy position.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Membership Publications, the Managing Editor, emmy serves as a key contributor to, and liaison between, the editorial and publishing sides of emmy magazine; works closely with the editor in chief, editor, and creative director to maintain timely flow of information and content between editorial and production to ensure that all publications remain on schedule and are completed within established deadlines.
- Responsible for day-to-day production activities of emmy and other publications, as needed.
- Collaborates on annual editorial calendar.
- Participates in planning of annual production schedule.
- In conjunction with editor, establishes deadlines and enforces them to keep publications on schedule.
- Liaises with art director, photography editor, contributors, and advertising sales representative to maintain steady flow of information and content between the various stakeholders.
- Creates a pagination map of each issue and distributes to printer, advertising representative, and editorial staff for review and approval.
- Manages advertising traffic in conjunction with sales, marketing, and corporate relations staff.
- Liaises with printer throughout production process, as needed.
- Liaises with newsstand consultant regarding print orders.
- Liaises with U.S. Post Office and prepares and submits annual USPS statement of ownership.
- Assists with planning of editorial content and making assignments, as needed.
- As needed, liaises with publicity representatives to obtain cooperation of story subjects and other participants.
- Contributes articles and other copy, as needed.
- Assists with fact-checking and editing copy, as needed.
- Writes headlines, captions, credits, and other ancillary copy, as needed.
- In consultation with editor, delegates editing to contributing editors and reviews finished product.
- Liaises with art director and photography editor on photo shoots and layouts, as needed.
- Participates in evaluation of story pitches.
- Proposes story ideas in conjunction with editorial staff.
Performs other duties as requested or required.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, English or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in editing, publishing and production.
- Experience as managing editor or equivalent preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong computer and office machine skills.
- Knowledge of, and proficient with, contemporary magazine production technologies.
- Excellent customer-service skills
- Team player with positive, proactive, problem-solving attitude
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
Qualified applicants please send resume with cover letter and salary requirement to: firstname.lastname@example.org