The Television Academy is a not-for-profit trade organization that supports over 19,000 members nationwide. There are a number of components that make up the organization, all of which work together to serve the members and "promote creativity, diversity, innovation and excellence in television through recognition, education and leadership".
Based in the NoHo Arts District in North Hollywood, California, the Television Academy staff supports a membership base of over 19,000 members and oversees a host of activities including its signature event, The Primetime Emmy Awards.
It is the Television Academy's policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. The Television Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), national origin, ancestry, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, family care status, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are seeking qualified candidates for a Vice President of Event Production position.
Vice President of Event Production
Reporting to the President and COO, the VP of Event Production will oversee the planning and execution of all live events directly produced by the Television Academy, including screenings, panel discussions, receptions, member activities, peer group events, conferences and awards shows such as the Television Academy Hall of Fame and Television Academy Honors. The role will also coordinate venue logistics and pre-planning for the Emmy Awards and Governors Ball, and liaise as needed with the production team for the Emmy Awards. In addition this position will oversee the technical operations and production aspects of the new, state-of-the-art theatre and media center currently being built at our North Hollywood campus.
The position will lead a small internal team responsible for developing a year-round strategy, budget and calendar for Academy events, working in conjunction with the Academy's Board of Governors and associated committees. The position will oversee the production and creative process, financial management, and all other aspects of live event production. The role will guide each project's production team, including external production partners, to ensure quality of execution.
The role will interact with resources from all other Academy departments including media and brand management, member and board relations, awards, business development and operations, and the Academy Foundation. As mentioned, the role will also work closely with the Academy's Board of Governors and associated committees – including the Activities, Governors Ball and various show committees, as well as network and studio partners and corporate sponsors.
- In partnership with the Academy's Board of Governors and various Academy committees, develop a broad program of live events that elevate the relevance of the Television Academy with both members and the industry and position the Academy as a thought leader in television's evolution.
- Oversee the planning and execution of live entertainment events such as screenings, panel discussions, receptions, member activities, public programs, conferences and seminars, peer group events, networking opportunities, and awards shows.
- Oversee the technical operations of the Television Academy's new state-of-the-art theatre and media center including operation and maintenance of the facility's technical assets.
- Direct the production contracting, scheduling and calendaring of all projects from initial concept through completion.
- Lead a small internal staff, and assemble and manage additional team members as needed, including external producers and staffing for live audio, stage lighting, recording, staging, event flow, talent coordination and logistics. Effectively determine the proper mix of skills, abilities and talents of the entire production team.
- Review, evaluate and verify production budgets, maintaining production and cost control systems, while ensuring standard of quality and production values, as well as consistency with the Television Academy brand.
- Negotiate contracts, review and approve bids and vendor contracts.
- Establish consistent processes for cross-department communication, engagement and involvement in live event production
- Monitor status of projects and events as to timeliness, schedules, budgets, scope, updates, and production meetings; adjust as necessary to keep on time and on budget and on creative target.
- Identify production-specific success metrics.
- Establish best practices for continuous improvement of team and programs.
- Minimum of 10-15 years progressive entertainment-based project and/or production leadership experience in film, theatre, television, themed and/or live entertainment
- Proven experience as a producer, project and/or program manager in a live entertainment environment with a track record of producing innovative experiences with high production values
- Experience with various project types, including live events, party planning, live show production, conferences and/or panels
- Core knowledge and experience with theatrical technologies and equipment, i.e. lighting, effects, audio, projection, and set design
- Strong leadership and cross-functional skills; must work well within teams and be able to lead effectively
- Ability to inspire, drive enthusiasm and teamwork with a commitment to excellence
- Ability to establish relationships, trust and credibility and follow through on decisions
- Ability to think strategically, conceptually and creatively
- Aptitude for creative collaboration and partnering
- Exceptional communication skills, including ability to communicate knowledgeably with multiple partners at multiple levels
- Available to work weekends and nights as required.
- Bachelor's degree in Theatre, Production, Film/Media, Design, Entertainment, Performing Arts, Stage Management or equivalent
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email resume in PDF format to email@example.com.