Diversity and Inclusion Unscripted Internship Program
The Television Academy Foundation's Diversity and Inclusion Unscripted Internship Program provides internships in Unscripted/Reality Television to five students from low-income backgrounds who are attending college/university within the Greater Los Angeles area. The program gives students in-depth exposure to professional television production during an eight-week, paid summer period in Los Angeles. Students must demonstrate a commitment to promoting the voices and stories of underrepresented communities and increasing diversity and inclusion in the television industry. Only graduating students with degrees conferred by June 2021 are eligible to apply.
Interns will also receive weekly online evening professional development including panels with television industry leaders, customized seminars on building your brand and navigating the job market ahead, and access to Foundation alumni as you build your career.
Upon completion, interns will join the Television Academy Foundation's Friends and Alumni Network and be eligible to participate in career support programming provided by the Foundation.
Due to the uncertainty surrounding the ongoing pandemic, and with the utmost concern for health and safety, the Television Academy Foundation will be offering remote internships only for summer 2021.
The submission period will be April 7, 2021 - May 5, 2021 at 5:00pm PT.
Remote internships will take place June 21 – August 13, 2021.
Development - Unscripted Television
Site: Production company or studio.
Activities: Assist in development of unscripted programs. Work with production company and/or network programming staff in conception and execution of programs.
Minimum Requirements: Demonstrated knowledge of unscripted programs. An ability and willingness to research unfamiliar topics and write short briefs on findings. Working knowledge of Keynote or PowerPoint for presentations. Applicants are encouraged to upload short writing samples and a video link to any reality/unscripted work samples produced (no more than 5 min. in total), if available.
Casting - Unscripted Television
Site: Production company or office of casting director.
Activities: Exposure to the casting process including arranging casting interviews, heavy phones, clerical.
Minimum Requirements: Organizational and people skills. Knowledge of television, movies and theatre. Liberal arts, communication background, computer literate, good memory.
Rules & Eligibility
- Applicants must be qualified full-time students pursuing an associate, bachelor or graduate degree at a college/university within the Greater Los Angeles area (counties of Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino and Ventura). Students in their final semester/quarter without a full course load may also apply.
- Students must be graduating in Spring 2021 to be eligible.
- Applicants must demonstrate an interest in unscripted television.
- Applicants should come from low-income backgrounds.
- International students with F-1 Visa status pursuing a degree in the United States are not eligible to apply.
- In order for the Foundation to conduct a background check and process payroll for an intern, the intern will need to provide the Foundation with a U.S. Social Security number upon notification of employment.
- Only one entry per student.
- All internships are paid, full-time remote positions, 40 hours per week, $15 per hour. Payment is made every two weeks; applicable payroll deductions apply.
- The Foundation reserves the right to refuse placement in any category at any time.
Voting members of the Television Academy will select the finalists in early May. All finalists will be notified to submit a video interview in response to questions posed in the notice of final candidacy. Students selected for the internship positions will be notified in late May.