Emerging Media Programming
Requirements for membership in the Emerging Media Programming Peer Group
These requirements become effective on January 1, 2023.
Please note that requirements (as outlined below) must be met within the four (4) years preceding one's application for membership or membership review; also, such requirements apply in each instance to the production and/or distribution of nationally exhibited audio-visual works. Individuals who have received a Primetime or Daytime Emmy Nomination, specific to this peer group, within the past four (4) years are eligible for Active membership.
Emerging media programming currently includes, but is not limited to: virtual, alternate, mixed or extended reality interactive storytelling, narrative that enables user choice to drive the storyline or sequence of content consumption, automated content creation, multi-platform and/or metaverse storytelling.
Note: examples of and requirements for emerging media programming will be reviewed annually.
- A senior level executive - director (or equivalent) or above - for a network, studio, production company, or emerging media platform with an impact on original program content in the area of emerging media.
- A lead creator, producer, or equivalent who is actively engaged in the creation or production of original program content:
- utilizing emerging media
- with at least one (1) credit for an emerging media program produced and nationally exhibited.
- A senior level executive - director (or equivalent) or above - for a network, studio, or production company with an impact on derivative program content that extends a traditional program across multiple platforms and formats with the intention of immersing the audience in an expanded story experience.
- A lead creator, producer, or equivalent who is actively engaged in the creation or production of an expansive set of derivative program content:
- that extends a traditional program across multiple platforms and formats with the intention of immersing the audience in an original expanded story experience
- with at least one (1) credit for an overall programmatic experience featuring multiple assets and elements of derivative content produced and nationally exhibited.
Or a qualified body of work relevant to the peer group that warrants a waiver of the above requirements, or have in the opinion of the Peer Group's Executive Committee achieved unique distinction, earned special merit, or made an outstanding contribution to Emerging Media Programming as it relates to the purview of this committee. Body of Work designation has all benefits of Active membership with the exception of running for Peer Group Governor.
Some categories that do not meet the criteria for this peer group include:
- Content produced solely for marketing, promotional, advertising and/or merchandising purposes.
- Social media used solely for a marketing purpose or not part of a larger programmatic experience
- Traditional short form programming or short form video content not part of a larger multiplatform experience
- Technology or product development roles unassociated with content development
Employed persons with verifiable hands-on experience, who are actively engaged in the creation or production of verifiable, professionally produced and nationally exhibited emerging media programming content as defined above with a minimum of one (1) year within the last four (4) years, or academics or strategy consultants for television in the emerging media programming space.