Top: Gloria Calderón Kellett, Casey Bloys, Pearlena Igbokwe
Bottom: George Cheeks, Lisa Nishimura, Zack Van Amburg
Executive Committee Appointees Announced
Frank Scherma, chairman and CEO of the Television Academy, today announced his appointees to the Television Academy Executive Committee for 2023.
The six industry luminaries will advise on the organization's diverse initiatives and help lead the Academy throughout the upcoming year.
"I'm thrilled to welcome these accomplished executives back to serve on our Executive Committee," said Scherma. "They will continue to bring their extensive experience and insight to our dynamic organization."
Executive Committee appointees are:
- Casey Bloys, Chairman and CEO, HBO and HBO Max Content. Bloys oversees all HBO and HBO Max programming efforts including scripted series, late night, documentaries, HBO sports and HBO films. Recent series include the Game of Thrones prequel, House of the Dragon; Peacemaker; and Emmy Award-winning series Euphoria, Succession, Hacks and The White Lotus.
- George Cheeks, President and CEO, CBS, and Chief Content Officer, News and Sports, Paramount+. Cheeks oversees CBS-branded assets within Paramount Global, including the CBS Television Network, which encompasses CBS Entertainment, CBS News and Stations and CBS Sports as well as CBS Studio and CBS Media Ventures—its first-run syndication business. As chief content officer, news and sports, for Paramount+, he has extended that content from CBS News and CBS Sports to the streaming service. In addition to his CBS and Paramount+ roles, Cheeks leads Paramount's global free-to-air networks in the United Kingdom, Australia, Chile and Argentina and oversees BET and Paramount Television studios. Prior to joining CBS, Cheeks served more than seven years at NBCUniversal in senior executive positions.
- Pearlena Igbokwe, Chairman, Universal Studio Group. Igbokwe leads four powerhouse studios: Universal Television, UCP, Universal Television Alternative Studio and Universal International Studios that produce over 3,000 hours of programming currently airing or streaming around the globe. She supports a slate of ambitious storytellers and oversees approximately 120 projects across more than 25 platforms worldwide.
- Gloria Calderón Kellett, award-winning writer, producer, director and actress. Kellett is currently the executive producer, showrunner and one of the stars of Amazon Prime Video's critically acclaimed series With Love and is an executive producer on the new Amazon Prime Video series The Horror of Dolores Roach. Prior to that, Kellett was the executive producer, co-creator, co-showrunner, director and actress on the critically acclaimed sitcom One Day at a Time. She spent her early years as a writer/producer on numerous shows including Devious Maids and How I Met Your Mother and has directed several episodes of television including Lopez vs. Lopez, How I Met Your Father and the Mad About You revival.
- Lisa Nishimura, Vice President, Independent and Documentary Films at Netflix. Providing storytellers of all backgrounds with a global platform where they can share their unique narratives around the world across languages, genders, cultures and experiences is a key focus for Lisa. Lisa began Netflix's documentary team, which initially encompassed both series and films, including groundbreaking and acclaimed titles such as Making a Murderer, Our Planet narrated by Sir David Attenborough, Chef's Table and Tiger King. The current slate of documentary films including Descendant; Stutz, "Sr."; Rory Kennedy's The Volcano: Rescue from Whakaari; and upcoming titles like Pamela, A Love Story, Bill Russell: Legend and The Deepest Breath showcase her commitment to diverse and compelling storytelling. The Netflix independent films team is responsible for a wide breadth of films such as The Good Nurse, Luckiest Girl Alive, Purple Hearts, Falling for Christmas starring Lindsay Lohan, and Jane Campion's Academy Award-nominated film The Power of the Dog.
- Zack Van Amburg, Chief Content Officer and Head of Worldwide Video for Apple TV+. Van Amburg oversees all aspects of the vision and global strategy for video programming, including the launch of Apple TV+, which became the first streaming service to debut with all original programs in over 100 countries. Under his leadership he has successfully shepherded a growing slate of culture-moving, award-winning series spanning drama, comedy, kids, family and unscripted Apple Originals, including the global phenomenon Ted Lasso, one of the most celebrated comedies in history with multiple Emmy Award wins alongside fellow Emmy nominees and winners Severance, The Morning Show, Bad Sisters, Pachinko, The Afterparty, For All Mankind, Slow Horses, Mythic Quest, Foundation and many more. Additionally, Van Amburg is responsible for all aspects of Apple Original Films, which made history with CODA winning the Oscar for Best Picture. Prior to joining Apple, Van Amburg served as president of Sony Pictures Television.
Additionally, the Academy's Board of Governors has elected the following Peer Group Governors as their representatives on the executive committee for the 2023 term: Eddie Bonin (special visual effects), Debra Curtis (television executives), Jill Dickerson (reality programming) and Troy Underwood (children's programming). Cris Abrego, chair of the Television Academy Foundation, will also serve on the committee.
About the Television Academy
The Television Academy strives to shape and advance the dynamic television landscape and advocate for the global television industry capturing the zeitgeist of a new generation of entertainment. Through its innovative programs, publications and events, the Academy and its Foundation endeavors to foster and empower the diverse community of storytellers fueling the medium while celebrating those who have excelled in the industry, recognizing their achievements through awards and accolades, including the coveted Primetime Emmy Award. For more information, please visit TelevisionAcademy.com.
breakwhitelight (for the Television Academy)
For the complete press release, click here.