Makes dough for two 9 inch (23 cm) pies and filling for one
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 5 cups (1-1/4 lb/565 g) all-purpose (plain) flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 lb (450 g) solid vegetable shortening
- 4–5 cups (1–1/4 lb/450–565 g) fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup (4 oz/115 g) granulated (white) sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose (plain) flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the crust
- In a measuring cup mix together the egg and vinegar. Add enough water to measure 3/4 cup (6 fl oz/175 ml).
- Put the flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar in a bowl, cut in the shortening with two knives (or use your fingertips) until large breadcrumbs form.
- Add the liquid a little at a time using just enough until the mixture can be kneaded into a ball. Divide into equal portions.
- Roll out one portion on a lightly floured surface to a 10 in. (25 cm) round and fit into a 9 in (23 cm) pie dish, leaving overhang.
- Repeat to line a second pie dish.
Filling and finishing
- Preheat the oven to 425°F/220°C.
- Combine all filling ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Divide evenly between the pastry cases.
- Roll out each remaining dough portion on a floured surface, one at a time.
- Cut each into strips and arrange in a lattice over each pie filling.
- Crimp the edges.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F/180°C and continue baking for another 30 minutes, or until golden brown and the blueberries are bubbling.
- Add foil around the crust edges during baking if they begin to over-brown).
- Sprinkle the tops with a little sugar.
- Place under the broiler (grill) quickly to brown, if desired.
Note: Whenever possible, for the best taste and texture, pick your own wild blueberries, or buy them fresh!
Now you can bring comfort and Hollywood glam to your table by trying this and other delicious recipes from Passion to Create: Your Invitation to Celebrate by Cheryl Cecchetto, President and Founder of Sequoia Productions.
In addition to producing 23 consecutive Emmy Awards Governors Ball events, Cecchetto has produced numerous entertainment industry events which featured these must-have recipes that we love!