Macaroni & Cheese and Brownies with Bourbon Sauce
Emmys Governors Ball Recipes
"Emmy" Macaroni and Cheese
Television Academy members may remember this delicious "comfort food" side dish we served for two years running at the Emmy Awards Governors Ball in the first decade of this millennium. Here is the special Patina recipe for you to enjoy at home:
- 1 lb. box Dececco Ziti Cut No. 118 Pasta
- 2 quarts half and half
- 3 whole shallots, peeled and sliced
- 10 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 2 branches fresh thyme
- 1 bayleaf
- Ground or fresh grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sifted flour
- 15 slices Vermont white cheddar, sliced very thin
- Cook box of pasta in 2 quarts of boiling half and half, that has sliced shallots, sliced raw garlic, thyme, bayleaf, salt and pepper, and just a touch of nutmeg. Cook the pasta 1/2 of the way, then used a slotted spoon to lay out on a parchment lined tray in a single layer and chill.
- Make a sauce bechamel, by adding a blond roux to the poaching liquid, and simmer 5 minutes only. (if it reduces too much, add a touch of cream or milk). Strain thru a sieve.
- Blond roux: Melt the butter in a saucepan without letting it brown. Add flour to butter and cook whisking, for 4 minutes. The color should be blond or very light gold.
- Use a basting brush to paint/glaze the macaroni with bechamel, and chill. Once cold, cut into 15 equal-sized circles or squares. Place one slice of cheese on each macaroni square/circle, and stack up 3 high, giving you 5 three-layer Macaronis.
- Cover with plastic in refrigerator, so as not to absorb odors.
- When ready to serve, place in a pre-heated 350 degree oven until hot throughout.
Dark Chocolate Brownies with Bourbon Sauce
Five years ago, this decadent, delightful dessert was created by the chefs at Patina and served at the Governors Ball.
- 1 and 1/3 cups butter, softened
- 2 and 2/3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup baking dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
Baby Bourbon Caramel Sauce:
- 1 cup sugar (+ 1/4 cup water)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Hudson Baby Bourbon
- pinch of sea salt
For the brownie:
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa and salt; gradually add to the butter, sugar and egg mixture.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until the top is dry and the center is set. Cool completely and cut into bars or squares.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired.
For the Baby Bourbon caramel sauce:
- Simmer sugar and 1/4 cup water on medium heat, swirling in the pan - NOT stirring -for about 15 minutes, or until a deep amber color is reached. Watch closely as not to let it burn.
- Turn off burner, remove from heat and slowly add cream while stirring.
- Add pinch of salt and bourbon and place back on still-warm burner for another minute while stirring.
- Transfer to a heat-safe dish or container and let cool in the refrigerator.
- Drizzle over a plate of cooled, dusted brownies, or pipe a design of whipped cream onto each brownie and then drizzle! Enjoy!
This is the first in a new series. Discover more Recipes
Watch the presentation May 30 here. Jimmy Fallon, Tichina Arnold, Kelly McCreary, Ryan Michelle Bathe, and Drew and Jonathan Scott Among Presenters
Anna Kendrick brought her personal stories to her new show Love Life
Watch content submitted For Your Consideration.