Social Buzz: Top TV Shows, June 14-20, 2015
Other worlds beckoned.
What do dragons, clones, computer programmers and politicians have in common—besides hundreds of thousands of social media fans?
Well, last week Game of Thrones, Orphan Black, Silicon Valley, and Veep aired finales alongside the premieres of Tyrant, The Astronaut Wives Club, and Complications. All of these shows seemed to have kept fans glued to their TV screens, but which of the following plots performed best on social screens? We dived into the social data for all 7 shows to see to see what Likes, comments, shares, tweets, and retweets came from:
- Arya’s showdown with a multi-faced deity on the finale of Game of Thrones
- Pied Piper’s fate, personal drama, and livestream superstardom coming to a head on the finale of Silicon Valley
- Selina’s nerves fraying as election night results are called on the finale of Veep
- Barry awaiting his punishment for a failed coup on the premiere of Tyrant
- Real stories of women who stood beside the American heroes in the race to space on the series premiere of The Astronaut Wives Club
- An ER doctor finding his existence transformed by a drive-by shooting in the series premiere of Complications
- A streetwise hustler pulled into a conspiracy after witnessing a suicide on the finale of Orphan Black
When it came to engagement volume, it was down to a battle between clones and dragons. In the end, Game of Thrones conquered the competition, dominating almost 70% of the 677.1K likes, shares, comments, retweets and favorites generated by all 7 shows this past week. Orphan Black got fans into social ‘cloneversation’, taking second place with 110.9K engagements for a 16.4% market share.
While the finales clearly dominated total engagements, the premieres ended up having the most talkative audiences. The Astronaut Wives Club’s fanship activity was out of this world, with 46 times the amount of reactions as Game of Thrones at 2,203.7 engagements per 1K users. The runner-up spot goes to the new drama series Complications, which was able to revive 608.0 engagements per 1K users from its following.
Game of Thrones (finale)
Silicon Valley (finale)
The Astronaut Wives Club (series premiere)
Complications (series premiere)
Orphan Black (finale)
Add Your Comment
Momoa and Woodard star in the new Apple TV+ series See.
Game of Thrones wins 12 Emmys in its final season.
Click for the complete list of winners.
Go behind the scenes with Alfre Woodard and Jason Momoa for our emmy magazine cover shoot!