Susanne Daniels, Mark Gordon, Shonda Rhimes, Richard Weitz and Carmi Zlotnik Named as New Television Academy Executive Committee Appointees
(NoHo Arts District, CA – June 05, 2017) — Hayma Washington, chairman and CEO of the Television Academy, today announced his appointment of five television industry innovators to the Television Academy Executive Committee. The group of diverse and visionary thought leaders will help set policy for the Academy through a dynamic television landscape of unprecedented growth and change.
"We are exceptionally fortunate to have the opportunity to be advised and guided by five of the most insightful and ground-breaking executives in the television industry," said Washington. "Individually they deliver a wealth of experience and knowledge across global television platforms. Collectively, they represent the future of the industry and will play a significant role in leading the Television Academy and our members as our medium continues to evolve."
Washington's Executive Committee appointees are:
- Susanne Daniels, global head of original content, YouTube; previously president of programming, MTV (Scream, Finding Carter, Faking It, Are You The One? )
- Mark Gordon, award-winning motion picture and television producer (Criminal Minds, Designated Survivor, Grey's Anatomy, Ray Donovan)
- Shonda Rhimes, prolific creator and executive producer of ABC's Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice and Scandal, executive producer of ABC's How to Get Away with Murder, Still Star-Crossed and the upcoming For The People and the untitled Grey's Anatomy spin-off, author of the NY Times Best Selling book, Year of Yes
- Richard Weitz, partner at William Morris Endeavor (WME) and co-head of WME's scripted television department; clients include actors Rob Lowe, Priyanka Chopra, Ellie Kemper and LL Cool J, creators and showrunners Tina Fey, Robert Carlock, Seth MacFarlane, Ricky Gervais, Dave Mandel, Max Mutchnick and Steve Molaro and directors Jake Kasdan, David Nutter, Shawn Levy and Todd Holland
- Carmi Zlotnik, president of programming, Starz (American Gods, Black Sails, Outlander, Power, Flesh and Bone, The Girlfriend Experience)
These accomplished and highly-regarded new appointees will work closely with the Television Academy's officers and board of governors to guide and shape the mission, policies and initiatives of the Academy.
Additionally, the Academy's Board of Governors have elected the following individuals as their representatives on the executive committee for the 2017 term: Jill Daniels, animation; Gail Mancuso, directors; Rickey Minor, music; and Mark Scott Spatny, special visual effects. Rounding out the executive committee membership for the 2017 term are Academy officers Frank Scherma, vice chair; Steve Venezia, second vice chair; Susan Nessanbaum-Goldberg, secretary; Allison Binder, treasurer; and Mitch Waldow, Los Angeles Area vice chair; and Television Academy Foundation Chair, Madeline Di Nonno.
About the Television Academy
The Television Academy seeks to expand the horizons of television excellence. It strives to empower storytellers who shape the evolving television space through the programs, publications and events of the academy and its foundation. And it celebrates those who have led excellence by recording their stories and recognizing their achievements through accolades and awards, including television's most coveted prize, the Primetime Emmy Award. For more information and updates on the 69th Emmy Awards, visit Emmys.com and follow @TelevisionAcad on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr and YouTube.
Download the press release here.
breakwhitelight for the Television Academy